So these are made out of brake disks I cleaned up. They were caked with rust so I soaked in vinegar for a few days. Used a brush and the rust just slid off. Rinsed, dried then coated with some truck liner spray to protect the metal. Inserted a piece of 2 inch PVC in the center. This size fits perfectly around an Olympic style barbell. Then filled with concrete. Once dry I used epoxy and BBs to even the weight out. Original weight for each was exactly 35.01lbs on a shipping scale. I have made several weights like this and will post more eventually. All in all I’ve saved myself hundreds on just making myself weights.

@Bobbycostner
link
fedilink
613d

That is impressive and certainly a money saver, especially since covid as the prices have gone nuts

How many of these do you have?

@201dberg
creator
link
fedilink
212d

Pairs of 35s, 25s, 20s, and 15s. I also have some 10s and 5s made out of just concrete and PVC. Also dumbbells made with concrete filled cans and steel pipe.

ksynwa
admin
link
fedilink
212d

How do you ensure that the individual plates in a pair weigh exactly the same? Looks very cool comrade. Great work.

@201dberg
creator
link
fedilink
211d

Well the steel plates are usually pretty close already. I have a shipping scale that goes up to like 90lbs. You can get one online for like $20-$30. When I pour the concrete I pour just a little over the intended weight as when it cures and dries it looses some. Then once it’s cured for about a month I go back and figure out how much weight I need to add back. Then mix up some epoxy, add in some BBs, and use that to add weight till it gets to where I want it. Unlike the concrete the epoxy doesn’t loose much, if any, weight over time.

Lifters of the World, Unite!
!swoletariat

    A place for leftists to discuss exercise, fitness, and health.

    • 0 users online
    • 5 users / day
    • 5 users / week
    • 7 users / month
    • 21 users / 6 months
    • 372 subscribers
    • 42 Posts
    • 125 Comments
    • Modlog